Cats and Dogs

Let's face it...we all know pets are like children. We defend them mercilessly, allow them do very odd and obnoxious things, shower them with love and affection and talk to them as if they understood us. And all that because we love them and they love us. Pets are a joy and a frustration. Last night I lured the local stray dog into my apartment thinking I would have a brother for my dog. Big mistake. The dog was clearly not trusting of humans and he wouldn't let me bathe him. If I could have given him a good scrub down, he would have been mine. I'm too OCD to have a stinky, mangy stray dog in my apartment. He didn't try to bite me or my dog, so I knew he would be all right with us, but it was just too much trying to wrestle with him in my bathroom. He wouldn't calm down and then he kept running all over my apartment, chasing Presley playfully. This all at 3:00am. I didn't mind any of it, I honestly would have kept the dog. I love animals. I can tell the dog likes Presley a lot and he always follows us around when we go for walks. He isn't even mine, yet I was beginning to treat him as such. So when you're in a relationship and the couple splits up, what the hell do you do with the pets? They weasel they're way into your heart and I would be damned if I had to share my pet with someone. Or if someone leaves you, you shouldn't get stuck with their pet, but if you live with them, they somehow no longer are just their pet. They become yours too. It's so complicated. A friend of mine has 2 cats. One from an ex-girlfriend from many moons ago and another from his last relationship. Needless to say I try to get along with the cats, but part of me wants to put them on a slow boat to China for him. But he loves the cats. And if it was me, I suppose I wouldn't be able to get rid of an ex's pet when the time came. They just have that effect on you. Could you imagine if we talked about kids like this?

Comments

  1. I did not keep "my" cat - my ex's cat would have been lonely and I discovered I'm allergic... and I do not feel guilty about it... does that make me a bad person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely not...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture is Worth...

Ode to Jon

The Wiener's Circle, Part 2