The Wiener's Circle (Part 1)

Preface: This one's for you...you know who you are.

This story is one for the history books. Well, my history book, if the history of the world was told by me. Once upon a time, in a land, far, far away...oops, just kidding. Wrong beginning. I'll try again...

Many years ago in the awkward adolescent era in the land of puberty, lived a girl much like myself. She was a lot pudgier, a lot less assertive and downright nerdy. She was the musical prodigy of her high school: first chair oboe player in orchestra, band, pit band, music theory whiz, composer, pseudo-conductor, featured solos in concerts and showcased (and won) in music competitions. Everyone in the music department knew her. She had lots of friends and many of them would frequently hang out after school in the orchestra room playing music together. One of these friends was a guy that she quickly developed a crush on. Not only did they play music together, they were also in a German class together and he constantly bugged her for help with his homework. It was all innocent high school crush stuff.

One day the girl tried to be more assertive and asked him to go to the movies with her. Awkwardness ensued. Nothing came of it. She graduated. A year later he did. They didn't really stay in touch except for the occasional AOL instant messenger chat. She moved to Germany, they chatted on and off. His penchant for saying inappropriate things continued beyond high school. He offended her and her boyfriend. She told him to f*ck off. Respectfully, of course.

Fast forward to about a year ago. All of a sudden to my surprise, I see a friend request on Facebook from my old high school crush. I added him (and notice the change from third to first person!!!). We started chatting and sometimes for hours. We exchanged numbers. We texted...a lot. Sometimes we'd talk on the phone, but that was rare. We'd mostly just update each other on life, who we were dating and what we were doing. Mostly stupid shit, but some serious conversations.

He had gotten out of a long relationship and I was just getting into one. I came home for the summer and had the time of my life. My old friend and I reconnected. We karaoked and hung out. My boyfriend met him. They both shared some bromantic moments (sorry to use that lame ass word, but I did it). I went back to my life, my friend and I continued to chat on and off. But then things changed. Home for Christmas, a whirlwind tour. Managed to squeeze in a visit with my friend. He did something I will never forget...

(to be continued tomorrow)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to Jon

A Picture is Worth...

The Wiener's Circle, Part 2