You've Got a Friend in Me

Over the years, I've learned that you win some, you lose some. People come and go in your life - some playing a starring role, others just playing Cashier #2 or Tall Man #1. It is impossible to make everyone your friend, it is also impossible to stay friends with everyone. You can be friendly to everyone (that I certainly am), but since variety is the spice of life, you're going to find that sometimes curry powder doesn't really go well with nutmeg. You can try your best to get them to mix, but it's not always meant to be. If you're someone like me, losing a friend would be a devastating blow to your psyche. But now I say, fuck it. I don't really care about trying to make things work. Beating the proverbial dead horse is, obviously, a waste of energy. I have a few people I will always be able to count on. That's all I need. Those friends will be there for life. They will be invited to my wedding (Ha! If I ever get married), they will always call me and I them (no matter how much time has passed), they will not stress me out (they actually calm me down) and they will always be able to put up with me. I'm very sad that my best friends are currently not located where I am. That's what you get for being a woman on the go. Maybe someday I will be able to visit them all regularly, but for now, technology will allow us to still be in touch.

On a side note, I think it's interesting that when I had a long distance relationship, it didn't work out - twice. But with my friends, it's like I've never left when I see them. I guess I just expect a lot more from a boyfriend. Not seeing them for 3, 6 or even 9 months is absurd to me. Skype is a poor substitute for lovin'. I guess in the end, you do what you must.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An encounter with the stars

A Picture is Worth...

The Three Loves