Hey jealousy

A sad day it is indeed when you come to the realization you harbor feelings of jealousy, that you are not truly happy for others when they have what you want, or what you think you want. Even though I am not religious, I still want to use the word un-Christian to describe such a phenomenon. I know it is a natural human experience, one of the common core feelings, just like love, hate, anger, fear, sadness (I sound like I'm listing the characters from Disney's "Inside Out"...sigh), etc. Why do these feelings of jealousy arise? Why do I feel guilty after the jealous feelings subside? How does one deal with such feelings? I think my general approach lately has been to accept that certain undesirable mental states or thoughts are a part of life and that they will pass. If you pull a Gandalf ("you shall not pass") you're in for trouble. Take a George Harrison approach instead ("all things must pass"). I know I discussed a romanticized version of jealousy previously and even said a little bit is probably good in a relationship between friends or lovers, but a fine line exists between the right amount and too much. Certainly there are situations where jealousy is warranted. For example, Kim Kardashian is a total bloody moron but has more money than Yeezus?!?! But others where it is not. That model looks absolutely perfect - check yourself, T; she actually works hard at starving herself and working out and her looks pay the bills. I'm still trying to work that one out. Why should I be jealous of someone I have never met in my life, regardless of how wonderful or beautiful they are (or are not - I guess I wouldn't really know if I haven't met them)? It is extremely difficult, dear readers, to step outside of your own head sometimes and to put things into perspective. But it must be done to overcome the insecurities and dark clouds that settle within our minds from time to time. So remember that jealousy, anger, fear, sadness, (insert other negative emotions here) are a part of our lives, but remember to let it pass, or let it go, if you will, to tie in the Disney theme again.

   (great movie, wrong attitude)      (great track from a great album, great attitude)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture is Worth...

The Wiener's Circle, Part 2

Ode to Jon