The Things We Do For Love

I would be lying if I said my impending move to Berlin had nothing to do with matters of the heart. Admittedly the last decade or so of my life has been dedicated to the German language and culture, and, as friends can attest (Wolfman D recently called me out on this), I have talked about moving to Germany...a lot.  Add to the fact that we have an Oompa Loompa in the White House and I will complete my coveted PhD in Germanic Studies within the next few months, I would say I certainly have enough reasons to make the move across the pond.  Yet had I not met the love of my life, I would not be crazy enough to go through the process in which I currently find myself.

Don't get me wrong, it is not the worst thing in the world you can do, but there are so many things to consider before making such a huge decision. I have already donated so many of my things (and still have so much to pack, move and give away), I have read countless websites about obtaining visas and all the attached legalities and formalities (I could be a lawyer now), searched for tons of deeply buried documents I never though I would need again, spent sleepless nights pondering all the things I need and going over every worst-case scenario, tried to save up as much money as possible (which meant I hardly ever went out - I'm more or less earning peanuts until I can find a full-time job), made lots of phone calls to Germany and sent more emails that you can count to set up health insurance, make appointments at the foreign office, ask for recommendations - the list is endless.

As a generally anxious person, the closer the move, the more my body has been buzzing on its own natural high for weeks. In some instances I welcome this, but sometimes the 5am wake ups are a bit intense. I long for more normalcy - if there ever was such a thing for me. I am trying my best to ride the waves until I am settled in my home in Berlin.

And that brings me back to the topic at hand. "My home in Berlin." I just wrote that. Twice. It has a beautiful ring to it. My boyfriend is there and we are excited to finally start our lives as a couple based 95% of the time in the same country. He has been calm, helpful and supportive, always ready to hug me at my most anxious moments and bring me back to reality.

That reality is this move to Berlin is a choice that I am making and I know it is the right one. I will miss my family and friends and my city terribly, but this is also not my first time to the rodeo. Even though I tend to despise my dependency on technology, it will help me stay in touch with those I love, so I can be with the one I love most.

As the philosopher Meatloaf once said: "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that." While Meatloaf's "that" is hugely misinterpreted, I clearly state that I will move to a foreign country for love, giving away most of my worldly possessions and forfeiting sleep and sanity along the way.

Thanks, Meatloaf. And rock on, you stud.

P.S. I know it has been a long time since my last post, but life often gets hectic and things slip away from you. I always appreciate my readers taking the time to...well...read my musings. Thanks for your support!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture is Worth...

Ode to Jon

The Wiener's Circle, Part 2